Thursday, January 22, 2009

PhotoEd Magazine Gallery Feature


I have been wanting to blog about this for quite sometime... One day, I opened my mailbox and found two complimentary copies of PhotoEd Magazine inside. I had been previously contacted by Felix Russo, the magazine's publisher, with the good news that one of my Polaroid transfer images had been chosen for publication in their Gallery section.


You can see the image, entitled "Tracks" above. I took this image of the Ottawa O Train Tracks in 2005. I shot it on color slide film, so I could make a transfer, and I also shot it on true black and white film, so I could make a large print. The black and white print hangs in my close friend, artist Karina Bergman's home in Ottawa, and I have made several one of a kind transfers of the color slide, one of which hangs in another artist friend, Selena Wilson Stubson's home in Winnepeg. Both the black and white and color versions are dear to me, and remind me of my father's father, who I never met, since he died when my father was 13. He was a railroad engineer, whose handsome portrait hangs in my home, and whose spirit lives on thanks to the stories my dad tells of him. I can't quite explain the feeling I get when I view this image, but it is similar to the feeling I get when I view his image. I think I romanticize them both. Plus, I have always been strongly drawn to things that are becoming extinct, or antiquated. I have a love for these old things. I was proud to have this image published, especially in a Canadian magazine.

I first found out about PhotoEd in the winter of 2005, when my friend, and fellow Canadian photographer, Angela Marklew, had a photography book she made featured in their "Art of Presentation" issue.


Here is what the PhotoEd website has to say about PhotoEd:
"PhotoEd is about Photography Education; both traditional and New Media. It is a useful resource for students, teachers and anyone desiring an education in photography. It is about motivation, inspiration and passion in photography. The magazine will showcase the work of emerging and established Canadian artists and be a vehicle for showing and sharing the great talent in Canada." Wow, I truly do feel honored...

PhotoEd is published 3 times a year in Toronto. They are currently seeking portfolio submissions from Canadian photographers working in historic processes.

A one of a kind transfer of "Tracks" is available for purchase in my Etsy shop

No comments: