Friday, January 23, 2009

Another Satisfied Etsy Customer... ME! (Mature Content)


This post could also be called "Ode to the Post Office" since once again, they have awed and astounded me in their sheer lack of disrespect for my packages. This box was handed to me by the postal clerk and I actually burst out laughing... honestly, it is pretty ironic. You can't miss the big red handwritten "FRAGILE" on the front of the box, nor can you miss the large HOLE that has been taped over. It is as if someone read "FRAGILE" and then decided to do that wresting move where you basically fall straight down with all of your weight on your elbow. To my laughter, the clerk replied, "We do our best", which is better than what I thought he would say. I figured he would blame it on the US side of the border. Anyway, just had to share...


While I may not be a satisfied postal customer, I am a very very satisfied Etsy customer, yet again. My home is filled with so many Etsy-bought items at this point that rather than featuring Etsy artists whose work I don't own, I should stick to that which I have and will be able to post once a week for 6 months. I met Lauren Beacham of jerseymaids in an Etsy convo. She was inquiring about one of my Polaroid transfers, NYC Tulips. In the end, we ended up owning some of each others' work. AND I AM THRILLED! "Onion Bloom" is a print of a Polaroid that was the first image in Lauren's shop to catch my eye. It is even lovelier in person...


I received a true gem in the original cyanotype above titled "Annmarie". It is an original, and I LOVE it! I figured out one day that although blue is not my favorite color, I own enough blue art to fill one whole wall. I just seem to be drawn to blue art. There is a small space left on that wall, and this will soon be on it. In addition to being lovely, I must thank Lauren for the inspiration. I have wanted to dabble with cyanotypes for quite some time. I even signed up for a couple alternative process photography courses that included this technique but it was not meant to be, since they were canceled for lack of enrollment. I asked Lauren how to get started and she was very generous to not only tell me where to get the supplies (at Photographer's Formulary, one of my favorite suppliers) but she emailed me very detailed steps, which I appreciate so much!


I HAD to select this lovely black and white nude, as I work with the nude form in a lot of my work, both in photography, and mixed media. I think this is truly breath taking, and while it may offend some people who read this post, I don't apologize. The human form is beautiful, both clothed and not. I see nothing wrong with the nude form, something you will see if you enter my bedroom, where most of the nude artwork I own lives.

Lauren threw a couple of surprises into my package. One is a small print of another image I really like and the other was a 10 pack of Polaroid 669 film!! This is like gold to me! In Canada, 669 has always been twice as expensive as it is in the states, not even taking into account the exchange rate. Plus, now that it is no longer being made, it is super hard to find here. I was shocked and thrilled to find this gift. Thank you so much, Lauren!! She truly knows the way to a Polaroid photographer's heart...

It is difficult for me to select a favorite of these three images. Lauren is truly a talented photographer, and I think I am drawn to her images because she works in many of the same processes I do, yet she can teach me something new. And she is not afraid to try several processes, something I love to do. I am so pleased I met Lauren on Etsy.

No comments: